Lots of Backroads in the Everglades
(aprox 8 hours)
From Miami to Naples lies the largest wilderness area in the lower 48 US, 7 continuous parks and reservations. Big Cypress sits in the middle. Most Everglades visitors go to the first park and airboat operator. Please, I beg you, go with someone that at least goes to Big Cypress. We go to four parks. Wildlife increases dramatically once we reach Big Cypress.
- Everglades National Park
- Big Cypress National Preserve
- Ten thousand islands NWR
- Fakahatchwee State Park
- Micoosukee Reservation
- An hour+ boat ride through the Ten Thousand Islands to the Gulf of Mexico
- All boats captains have 5 and 6 generation history in the area
Boardwalk in Big Cypress National Preserve
30 minutes hike on a Big Cypress Boardwalk with beautiful cypress canopy
A great bird spot for wading birds in the fall, and songbirds all year round.
Stop at Clyde Butcher photo gallery with a swamp trail behind gallery
Several stops for gators and birds in Big Cypress, depending on water levels and migration. Gators seen are dozens in the summer, hundreds in the winter
For alligators, birds and snakes. In the heart of Big Cypress
Airboat ride to a Miccosukee tree island
- Airboat ride to tree island where Miccousukee lived for generations fleeing the US Army
- Tour highlights the unique history of Miccosukee tribe
- How they differ from Seminoles even though both came into Florida fleeing Andrew Jackson
Stone crab lunch
Stone crab lunch at fishing docks in Stone Crab Capital Oct-May
Rates ( minimum 4 people)
- Adults (3-4 People)-$160 each
- Adults (5-6 People)-$150 each
- Adults (7-12 People)-$130 each
- Seniors and Children < 12 $ 20 less
Options, Upgrades and Downgrades
Dawn Patrol usually means more wildlife and helps beat the Blue Hair invasion from Naples at the stone crab restaurant.
Sunset tours on the Gulf are spetcaular, especially for birdwatchers. The way back means we pass through one of the darkest skies in the US for stargazing. Big Cypress has ranger led stargazing once a month.
I do not charge extra if the group uses a third party for:
- Swamp walks
- Swamp buggy rides
- Private airboat
- Fishing guides
Important: Third parties must have a Big Cypress permit, as I do.
Third parties for swamp walks and swamp buggies take guest to places I can not and don’t want to do.
Swamp walks are usually led by hunters. Swamp buggies by old time Gladesmen, similar to my boat captains.
Once or twice a month during the winter a strong SW or NW wind makes conditions for the boat trip thru the Ten Thousand Islands less than ideal. I will know 3-5 days ahead of time, nd will offer options:
- downgrading to the 5 hour tour
- more time spent in Big Cypress